Thursday, October 6, 2011

Blog 7

1.) I think discourse and discourse analysis is a bit clearer to me after the class lecture. Since we broke down the "power moves" to look for when we analyze discourse analysis in writing. The list included things such as use of pronouns, use of questions, eye contact, struggle of authority, themes, and use of tone of voice. I think this list makes it so much easier for understand and analyze discourse. Now I know what to look for and how to use this information when defining discourse. After we learned about these "power moves" I went and reread chapters 1 and 2 of Bloome. It was actually a little easier to understand and I think I was able to pick out some important aspects about discourse.

2.) My big question about discourse that I still cannot quite understand is how to use as a research method. I know we went over it in class, but I am sstill confused about the whole thing. Hopefully reading the blog that Dr. Chandler post about the lecture will help me understand it better.

3.) I think the best kinds of activities would be working in groups and using what we learned to identify discourse and discourse analysis. Sometimes listening to what your classmates think can help you get a better understanding ona certain topic.   

No comments:

Post a Comment