Wednesday, September 21, 2011

BLOG 3

What Young Children Teach Us About Literacy Learning 
Authors: Catherine Maderazo and Prisca Martens 

I chose to write my blog about this essay because I was interested to see what kinds of things the two authors Maderazo and Martens would come up with. Children are very active and are always doing something, so I was curious which experiences the two moms/authors would use to write the essay.

Purpose: It took me a while to figure out how to put my thoughts of the purpose into words. I'm still not quite sure if it sounds right or even makes sense, but here goes.....

After I read the introduction and conclusion of the essay, I think that the purpose was for Maderazo and Marten's to take their childrens' experiences in play to explain how adults learn much of what they know about how childrens' early reading and writing by watching young children in their environment . Observation of how children use the tools and people around them has helped adults learn how children connect to the world of literacy.

Process: As I looked through the book I saw that the authors separated their research by five different lesson plans. Under each lesson plan was an example of what Maderazo and Martens observed their child doing, and how it connected to the main point of the lesson. There were also a few pictures of some of the childrens' work which were probably photocopied or scanned from the original.

Sources: When I think of sources I assumed it includes what or who the authors used to get the research. So I came up with a list that I thought was a part of the sources for this essay. (I might be totally wrong!)
  • Leo and Elliot Maderazo; Sarah and Matthew Martens
  • A variety of books that the children liked to read.
  • Signs and logos in the community.
  • Hot Wheels website/internet
  • Sarah's grandpa
  • Miss Cartwright

No comments:

Post a Comment