Thursday, December 1, 2011

Blog 18

FOCUS QUESTION FOR RESEARCH PAPER:


How does picture drawing influence how children remember or interpret text from stories?


Research Methods I Plan to Use:
 Ethnography: I would observe in a classroom setting as I read a story to the students and observe and take notes on what they draw.
     Things to look for in their drawings would include:
                         -> Content
                         -> color, size, and position of characters, settings, and plot.
                        -> other features of the pictures


Interviewing: I would interview a teacher who has done this exercise with their students.
                   Some questions I was thinking to ask:
                           -> What book did you read to class?
                          -> What kinds of brainstorming did the kids use to draw their pictures
                          -> What sorts of pictures did the children draw?
                          -> How did the pictures relate to the story?
                          -> What kinds of reactions did you get from the students?
                          -> Is picture drawing a good technique to use? 
                          -> What were some of the advantages and disadvantages of picture drawing?


I would also interview one of the student's (with parental permission and also the parent would have to be there for the interview)
             Some questions I would ask:
                      -> What story did your teacher read to the class?
                     -> What did you draw a picture of from the story?
                     -> Why did you use a certain color, or make a certain character bigger than others?
                     -> Did you have fun drawing your picture?
                     -> Is picture drawing something you would like to do more often?
                     -> What did you learn from the story?


This is what I have so far... I am still working on my sources and brainstorming more questions to ask. I am planning to begin writing my paper very soon and see what things I need to add or leave out............ Hopefully with Dr. Chandler's feedback I will know if I'm heading in the right direction!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment